Wednesday 9 June 2010

Where butterflies have gone?



”Please don’t catch them you would hurt them, their wings would lose the color and beauty” I used to appeal like this to my siblings and friends in my childhood whenever I saw them in hunt for butterflies. I was fearful that the butterflies would fly away never to return back and I would lose the unending joy and pleasure which they provided with their beautiful and majestic presence. These small and fragile insects had such a great impact on me whenever I had the chance to see them.

I so much detested the hobby of all those who used to catch and preserve butterflies in their scrap books on the pretext of immortalizing them. This was a habit of possessiveness; people want to possess all beauty, all good things in life. Beauty and all good things are the pleasures that must be shared and not possessed.

Today, we find that this habitat is fast vanishing and we seldom see the beautiful and colorful sight of these delicate creatures. Where the butterflies have gone?, I haven’t seen them in years! Environmentalists tell us that this is now a global issue and we are losing these beautiful creatures very fast and each one of us has to protect “their” butterflies.

Protecting butterflies mean much more than merely protecting them. Butterflies are the symbol of beauty, civilization, love, life, environment, relationships, harmony and the wholeness of being. When each one of us saves our part of butterflies, then we actually had indulged in saving and serving all that which they symbolize.

9 comments:

  1. Your butterfly post is connecting me with myself. I only have a few moments but immediately I remembered the night I couldn't sleep when at age 12 or so in my room's closet on a large piece of cardboard were about 40 butterflies pinned and immobile. I vowed never again to do such a thing. I knew instinctively this was a sin.

    Recently I heard tell of children who painted butterflies on walls in their concentration camps just before they were led into the gas chamber. (I want to tell you more on this story soon.)

    And today you remind me that although I either must or should expose some of the inhumanity of people to one another and find a way to wake us up...I still must keep balancing my life with beauty, nature, simplicity and joy as you do on a daily basis.

    I love to hear that you were so gentle, tender and precocious in the realm of beauty and what matters at such a young age.

    So glad to have you for a friend, Dar Sahib!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...And I am gald to have you all as my friend Dear Connie...

    Dar Sahib...again...I am speechless to say or write anything...

    Yet....there is always so much to say about our environment and climate change...but...

    do anyone really care??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butterflies are like the moments of joy and happiness. We can not catch them, and keep them in books, and if we do this in any way, they simply die and lose their colors.

    Life is not about to catch and keep the time of happiness forever with us. Joy has its own beautiful colors, it just refreshes us and move forward, we can not stop them other wise they lose their charm.

    So, we should enjoy the difficulties and problems and pain and wait for the butterflies when they will come and give us the complete colors of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie
    I knew you would relate to the butterflies instantly, as your urge for freedom and liberty for all is very visible and pronounced and your love for the nature and its dynamics very profound and subtle. Butterflies are a miniature emblem of a beautiful physical and exotic spiritual life. Thanks for always sharing your knowledgeable view and meaningful insights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking
    We must wake up and pay due attention to the environment as it is very rapidly being ruined. We have read in the sacred religious texts that many glorious civilizations were destroyed owing to one or other sins of the people of that time. If our times are heading to any calamity of that sort then it would be due to our negligence of our environment. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Urooj
    Some people put butterflies in their books and some put flowers, but there are few others who brighten their hearts and souls with their beauty and fragrance and bring back that beauty and fragrance to the rest of the world in shape of love, caring, and equilibrium. Thanks for your delectable elaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could never really understand myself what joy it brings to people to catch and kill the insects. They are God's creatures who are peacefully minding their own business but we cannot help but torture them - it saddens me to see that we can all be so cruel and destroy those which we have power over. Sigh.

    Lovely blog you have here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Raajii, and very well said that what joy it brings to people to catch and kill the insects, and specially those who are providing you undless pleasure and beauty.

    Thanks for your appreciation.

    ReplyDelete